Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Circuit Rider: 08/15/2007

As a small boy, I sat and listened to the experiences of my grandfather, who was a traveling preacher. I was mesmerized by those accounts, and dreamed that one day I would do the same. Needless to say, Pa was my hero. I would try to preach like he did, even though I was just a boy. My grandmother would encourage me, and told me I was going to be a preacher. I followed Pa around, trying to learn all I could. Mostly what I learned was hard work. I learned it takes a lot of wood to keep a cookstove going, a lot of water to wash clothes and a lot of hay to feed livestock.

We didn't have running water, but we did have a good spring that produced plenty of cold water. We didn't have power tools, tractors and hay balers, but we did have good horses, to pull mowing machines and rakes. We didn't have a washing machine, but we did have a rub board and homemade soap. We also had a clothes line.

As I grew older, I realized, traveling from church to church was not an easy life, and fewer and fewer people wanted to hear "old fashioned preaching." I know God called me to preach when I was a teenager, but by that time, Pa was gone and I had other interests. I would see nine years of military service, a wife and three children, before I answered that call. Only then did I realize the struggles my grandfather had experienced.

Pa didn't have much "book learning," but I knew times had changed and education was a must. I was thirty-three years old when I began studying for the ministry. I went to school, pastored small churches and worked to support my family. Times were hard and money was scarce, but my children never complained. Every time I grew discouraged, God would give me reason to go on. That all began thirty-seven years ago. I must say this, I have not always been faithful to God, or to His calling, but I can honestly say, He has never failed me. I do have a very deep respect for those old traveling preachers. It is amazing how God used them to win the lost and build churches without Bible colleges and seminaries.

However, when young men tell me they think God wants them to preach, and ask what they should do, I tell them, "Run"! Of course I know, if God wants them, he can outrun them. Then I tell them, "Get as much education as you can, but remember, it's not about education. It's about the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. It's about the anointing of the Holy Spirit!"

On Saturday, August fourth, our "Circuit Riders" were honored to have the privilege of praying over (blessing) the new Brownsboro Police Department cruisers, and the officers who use them. We thank God for the men and women who lay their lives on the line to enforce the law. They make it much safer for us! Sometimes, when we ride back into Brownsboro, late at night, we see them patrolling the streets. We respect them, and appreciate their service to this community.

On Sunday morning, August 5, some of our members rode to New Beginnings Baptist Church, Ferris, Texas, to take part in their "Run for the Son" service. Following the activities there, they rode hard, back to Union Hill, to help with VBS. They were hot and tired, but they were blessed!

Last Friday evening, some of our members rode to Kaufman to honor a fallen biker, and on Saturday, we had the pleasure of hosting our brothers and sisters from the Emory and Corsicana chapters of "Circuit Riders." It was a wonderful time of food and fellowship. There were thirty-three bikes and their riders present.

Remember, share the road, and God bless you!

Bill Hamilton 

No comments:

Post a Comment