Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Circuit Rider: 08/30/2007

A few years ago, I was in conversation with another pastor, when he happened to mention that he was riding a new Harley. I didn't have a bike at the time, and felt I couldn't afford to buy one. I asked how he could buy a new Harley, and he informed me that God had given it to him. Well, I was a little jealous and couldn't understand why God would play favorites. After all, wasn't I a pastor, wasn't I serving God and didn't I deserve a new Harley? I wanted to know; did God deliver it to his house? Did God call Milwaukee, Wisconsin and order it direct, did he go to the dealership? How could I get God to give me a Harley?

The pastor went on to tell me he had gone into Longview Harley Davidson, saw the bike he wanted and said, "Lord, if you want me to have this bike, I will ride it out of here." "So," he said, "I rode it out. It will take me five years to pay for it, but I rode it out, and I know God is going to help me pay for it."

Well, I thought, what a plan! A few days later, I walked into the Yamaha dealership in Tyler, and said the same words, "Lord, if you want me to have this bike, I'll ride it out." I didn't want to bother God for a Harley. They were too expensive. I walked out without the bike. I did call my wife and told her, "Baby, I bought a new Yamaha." "No, you didn't!" I put the phone to my other ear (that one had suddenly gone deaf), and said, "Yes, I did." "Well, how are you going to pay for it?" Then she questioned my intelligence, "Are you crazy?" I realized this was going nowhere fast, so I quickly told her, I bought the bike, but they wouldn't let me have it without paying for it. They didn't know anything about God giving it to me.

A few years later, while reporting to the "Circuit Rider" officers meeting in Louisiana, I related this story. One of the old bikers in the back of the room spoke out, "You were in the wrong place; God rides a Harley!" God never gave me that new Harley, but He did make it possible for me to get a good used Honda and after that, two Harleys. I have been asked many times, "What is the best motorcycle?" My answer to that is, "The one you enjoy riding, and the one you can afford."

I have, since I was twentyfour years old, loved riding motorcycles. For a long time, I didn't think of using them in a ministry, but for the last few years, that is exactly what we have done. I still love riding, I still love being a part of the ministry, I still enjoy the smiles on children's faces and believe it or not, I still enjoy the frowns I get from "good Christian people" who think motorcycles are `tools of the devil.'

My grandfather rode a horse to preach and I ride a motorcycle, but I still preach from the same Bible he did. Please pray for us, watch for us on the road and remember, we are "riding for Jesus."

Bill Hamilton 

No comments:

Post a Comment